How Pony Express Bike Share Works
We ask all riders to follow the existing bicycle laws outlined by the City of St. Joseph. In addition to those laws, Pony Express Bikes asks riders to respect the following rules:
- Ride – Respect - Return
- Riders may borrow a Pony Express Bike (PEB) with the understanding they will return the bike within four hours to any Pony Express bike rack.
- Use the bike responsibly. These are street bikes - If you take it off the pavement you increase the risk of a flat tire. These are not stunt bikes - Popping wheelies, skidding tires, or overloading bicycles will break them.
- Riders are encouraged to use helmets. Helmets are available at various locations. Call 816-866-0049 for details.
- are unlocked and available for public use. Please do not lock or chain a PEB. Any locks found on a PEB will be cut off.
- To indicate that the PEB that you are riding is in use, turn your seat sideways if you park the bike to enter an establishment.
- If you find a bike unattended, you are welcome to ride it even if it isn't in a Pony Express Rack. However, if the seat is turned sideways, that indicates the bike is currently in use. Please leave the PEB for that person.
- Don't be a bike hoarder - Do not lock up or leave a PEB on private property. If you are in need of a bicycle as a regular means of transportation, please call or text us at 816-866-0049 to learn more about our bike giveaway program.
How You Can Help
- You can help Pony Express Bikes by returning abandoned bikes to a Pony Express Rack. For example, a bike that has been in the same location for more than 24 hours can be returned to a rack.
- If you find a bike needs repair, text or call Pony Express Bikes at 816-866-0049 with bike number and the location of the bike.
- If you are interested in volunteer opportunities please contact us!
By riding a PEB, you assume all risk of injury or damage:
Use of a bicycle involves both known and unanticipated risks that could result in injury, death, and property damage. By utilizing a bicycle, you release and discharge from liability the City of St. Joseph, its officers, employees, agents, and all other persons acting for them ("Releasses"). You accept and assume all risks associated with the activity or that might have been caused by the the Releasees. You further voluntarily release, forever discharge, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Releasees from any and all claims, demands, or causes of action which are in any way connected with your participation in this activity, or your use of equipment, arising from negligence.