FAQ module icon

Frequently Asked Questions

The material in this question and answer series is for your information only. It is not legal advice and is not designed to be used in place of legal advice. You should consult your own attorney for legal advice. The St. Joseph Legal Department provides this series to provide a general summary of procedures concerning violations of city ordinances in the City of St. Joseph, Missouri. It is issued to inform generally, not to advise of specific rights. As with any general information, the answers given here may not specifically apply to you.
Do I need an occupational license?
You will be notified when all construction documents and plans have been approved. In order to obtain your building permit you must have the following:

1. Occupational License- obtained through the Customer Assistance Department, 1100 Frederick Ave., Room 106, 816-271-4751.
2. A copy of your Workmans Compensation Insurance. In addition to the Workmans Compensation Insurance all Master Electrician and Plumbers must carry a $2,000.00 bond. It will be necessary that they provide a copy of that bond and liability insurance to the Building Development Services Department at City Hall 1100 Frederick Ave Room 106, St. Joseph, MO 64501.

Show All Answers

1. What building codes have been adopted by the City of St. Joseph?
2. What construction projects need building permits?
3. Why a building permit?
4. What are plan requirements?
5. What's a footing and foundation permit?
6. Do I need an occupational license?
7. What about subcontractors?
8. How are driveways and sidewalks handled?