FAQ module icon

Frequently Asked Questions

The material in this question and answer series is for your information only. It is not legal advice and is not designed to be used in place of legal advice. You should consult your own attorney for legal advice. The St. Joseph Legal Department provides this series to provide a general summary of procedures concerning violations of city ordinances in the City of St. Joseph, Missouri. It is issued to inform generally, not to advise of specific rights. As with any general information, the answers given here may not specifically apply to you.
I'm on septic, how can I get connected to the City sewer?
Depending on the location of the closest main sewer line, it may as simple as hiring a plumber to make the connection. If you are too far from a main line and the sewer would need to be extended to your property, there is a program available through the City called a Neighborhood Improvement District (NID). It is likely that if you are on a septic system that many of your neighbors are as well and they may want to pursue a NID through the City with you. A NID is formed to show the City that your neighborhood would like a main sewer and then the City would meet with you and your neighbors to discuss the feasibility of extending the sewer. The costs of the sanitary sewer would be borne by the neighbors in the NID. The process is a bit more complex than this, please contact us for further details.

Show All Answers

1. Where is the sewer line for my property?
2. Where is the right-of-way at my address/for my street/alley?
3. Where is the road located in the right-of-way?
4. I'm on septic, how can I get connected to the City sewer?
5. My road is mess, how come it is not being resurfaced and you've resurfaced this other road twice?
6. I seem to have a hole/depression in my yard, can you tell me what it is from?
7. I am having a drainage/mud problem from my neighbor's/commercial business?
8. The street is draining rain water onto my property, what can I do about that?