The city of St. Joseph is seeking input from our residents on a proposed ordinance regarding the development of regulations for short-term rental properties, which function as Airbnb or VRBO properties.
In summary, the ordinance would do the following:
- Allow short-term rentals in all zoning districts.
- Prohibit use of accessory structures as rentals; only primary structures could be used for rental.
- Limit total guests to 8.
- Allow only one rental space to be rented to guests and prohibit renting out rooms to different guests.
- Prohibit use of the rentals for group events.
- Require one on-site parking space per bedroom or require three abutting off-site parking spaces on streets (ensures ample parking space for the rental structure and neighboring structures).
Comments will be accepted through August 31, 2023. Submit your comments through the online survey or through email.